The Nenets of the Yamal Peninsula
reindeer herders, endless tundra and fur tepees
Salekhard – Yar-Sale – Yamal – Obdorsk
Regular monthly departures: this tour is offered regularly once a month. Let us know your desired departure month by clicking on the ask-us button below and we will match your preferences with the relevant scheduled group departure. If you are unsure about the month you wish to travel in, then simply tell us a period or a season of the year and we will give you a wide range of scheduled group departures: just pick up yours!
Our scheduled group departures don't suit your plans? If you are travelling with friends and there are 5 or more of you, you can set your own dates and we will organise a tour just for you without charging any additional fee. If you are travelling solo or with less than 4 companions we will organise a slightly more expensive tailored tour according to your time schedule and specific geographical preferences.
Please note: this journey follows two slightly different routes across the Yamal peninsula depending on which season you'd like to travel in: the winter program (classic) corresponds to the itinerary listed below and includes a 4-day visit to the Nenets winter tepees encampment near Yar-Sale, whereas during the spring/summer route these 4 days will be spent with the Nenets in their traditional settlements scattered around the green summer pastures along the Yorkuta river. There's no price difference between the two options.
Day 1 - Salekhard
- In the morning you will meet our tour guide in the lobby of the designated hotel (exact hotel address and meeting time will be communicated well in advance per email; private airport pickup and shuttle service available for a small additional fee).
- Introductory briefing about the region, the route and the set of rules to observe while travelling in Nenetsia.
- Salekhard walking tour: Lenin Statue, 66th Parallel Monument, Mammoth Statue, Petr and Pavel Cathedral, Fish & Fur Market and WWII Memorial.
- In the afternoon we'll visit the 16th century fortress in Obdorsk, the first Russian settlement built in the region.
- Lunch, dinner and overnight in Salekhard.
Day 2 - Yar-Sale
- Transfer to Yar-Sale, the first trading post built on the Yamal Peninsula by the Russians in 1927.
- The 6-hour trip from Salekhard to Yar-Sale is done by all-terrain vehicle in winter and by boat in summer.
- Once at destination we'll enjoy a walking tour of this out-of-the-world settlement mainly inhabited by ethnic Nenets.
- Dinner and overnight in Yar-Sale.
Day 3/4/5 - Reindeer Herders
- In the morning we'll reach the nomadic herders living and moving across the tundra surrounding Yar-Sale.
- We'll spend three full days gallivanting around the endless tundra with the Nenets Reindeer Herders, sharing with them our time and our food and learning as much as possible about their culture and lifestyle.
- There is no specific travel plan for these days but highlights definitely include: enjoying Nenets national staples, drinking reindeer blood, sewing traditional clothes, building a wooden sledge, hunting and fishing expeditions, wildlife spotting and a daily walks in the surreal nature around the camps.
- Lunch, dinner and overnight in a traditional fur teppes.
Day 6 - Yar-Sale
- Today we'll slowly return to Yar-Sale travelling through pristine landscapes on board of a sledge attached to a snowmobile (winter) or on a sturdy Soviet all-terrain vehicle (summer).
- Lunch, dinner and overnight in Yar-Sale.
Day 7 - Salekhard
- After a lazy morning in Yar-Sale we'll transfer back to Salekhard travelling along the mighty river Ob.
- Lunch, dinner and overnight in Salekhard.
DAY 8 - Flight back home or transfer to further destinations
- After enjoying a last Soviet-style breakfast together we'll take care of your transfer to the airport/train station of choice.
- For those flying out: we will arrange transfer to Salekhard International Airport.
- For those wishing to take the train/bus to reach further destinations: we will arrange transport to the local train/bus station .
- End of the tour.
4 to 8 participants: 4160 euros
The price includes: double/twin room accommodation (breakfast included; single supplement: 20 euro/night), private transport in the region (jeep or minivan), entrance fees to the attractions listed in the itinerary, guiding and translation service.
The price does not include: international flights and any other flight not explicitly included in the tour price and itinerary, meals, drinks and tips, transport to and from the airport of arrival/departure (35 euros/ride), visas if required, entrance fees to attractions not listed in the itinerary, insurance.
The route of this tour has been carefully designed after several research trips in the region. It is, however, always possible to slightly modify the itinerary according to the needs and the suggestions of the participants.
Please note: this journey follows two slightly different routes across the Yamal peninsula depending on which season you'd like to travel in: the winter program (classic) corresponds to the itinerary listed above and includes a 4-day visit to the Nenets winter tepees encampment near Yar-Sale, whereas during the spring/summer route these 4 days will be spent with the Nenets in their traditional settlements scattered around the green summer pastures along the Yorkuta river. There's no price difference between the two options.
Airport pickup/transfer in Salekhard is available for just 35 euros per ride.
WHERE THE HECK AM I TRAVELLING TO?
BELOW YOU CAN SEE THE DIFFERENT TOUR STAGES MARKED ON A MAP OF THE REGION YOU ARE GOING TO EXPLORE WITH US
POSSIBLE TOUR COMBINATIONS FOR THIS ITINERARY INCLUDE