A MYSTERIOUS SECESSIONIST REPUBLIC SQUEEZED BETWEEN RUSSIA AND GEORGIA
Vladikavkaz – Tsey – Tskhinvali – Leningor – Goret – Dargvas
Regular monthly departures: this tour is offered regularly once a month from March to early June and again from late August to November. Let us know your desired departure month by clicking on the ask-us button below and we will match your preferences with the relevant scheduled group departure. If you are unsure about the month you wish to travel in, then simply tell us a period or a season of the year and we will provide you a range of scheduled group departures: just pick up yours!
Our scheduled group departures don't suit your plans? If you are travelling with friends and there are 5 or more of you, you can set your own dates and we will organise a tour just for you without charging any additional fee. If you are travelling solo or with less than 4 companions we will organise a slightly more expensive tailored tour according to your time schedule and specific geographical preferences.
The following itinerary involves a visit to one or more separatist provinces and/or contested territories. Our tours are aimed to an educated clientele animated by a genuine cultural and historical interest for the little-known regions we offer within our portfolio of post-Soviet destinations. By no means we endorse and support political parties, ideological movements, armed factions and interest groups involved in the military and diplomatic conflicts afflicting the regions we travel to. Specifically we do not support territorial separatism and we strongly reject any form of violence. De facto independent but the de jure unrecognised states shall be fully considered as constituent entities of the country they seceded from. We firmly believe in true dialogue and unbiased fact-checking as the only viable path for a durable peace and stability in the region. In this regard our tours shall be seen as an instrument of knowledge and awareness for the erudite clientele we cater for. Political activists, propagandists and biased publicists of any sort are not welcome to join our tours.
Bespoke tours to South Ossetia: the following itinerary refers to our most popular route in South Ossetia. In case you are interested in a particularly remote area, secretive ethnicity, unusual activity and/or off-the-beaten-path attraction within South Ossetia or if you are just looking for an hit-and-run visit to Tskhinvali and its surroundings, we will easily meet your needs with a unique tour individually designed according to your preferences. Get in touch for more info on our private tours to South Ossetia!
DAY 1 - Russian Spa towns
- In the morning you will meet our tour guide in the lobby of the designated hotel in Mineralnye Vody (exact hotel address and meeting time will be communicated well in advance per email; private airport pickup and shuttle service available for a small additional fee).
- Introductory briefing about the region, the route and the set of rules to observe while travelling in the North Caucasus.
- We'll spend the day touring the historical Russian towns of Mineralnye Vody, Kislovodsk and Pyatigorsk.
- These elegant cities used to be the romantic setting for rocambolesque intrigues, flings, duels and adventures during the later half of XIX century: such reputation still lives on thanks to the work of great Russian poets and novelists like Lermontov and Pushkin, who set many of their masterpieces in these stylish frontier towns.
- Dinner and overnight in Mineralnye Vody.
DAY 2 - North Ossetia: Beslan and Vladikavkaz
- In the morning we'll head to Vladikavkaz, the capital of North Ossetia-Alania, a peculiar autonomous republic, where ethnolinguistic Persian roots blend together with Christian Orthodox traditions.
- We'll break the 2-hour journey in Beslan, a small Ossetian city that sadly became famous for the 2004 school siege.
- We'll then visit the somber remnants of the school and of the nearby memorial-cum-graveyard.
- Quick lunch in the city centre in front of one of the last Stalin statues in the whole former USSR and transfer to Vladikavkaz.
- Vladikavkaz walking tour: Lenin Statue, Prospekt Mira, Soviet Memorials, Ossetian Churches and Grand Central Mosque.
- Dinner and overnight in Vladikavkaz.
Day 3 - North Ossetia: Tsey
- We'll devote this day to Tsey, a Soviet mountain resort renowned for the pristine nature of its surroundings and the mystic atmospheres of the ancient Ossetian temples scattered in its woods.
- On the scenic way to Tsey we will stop in Mizur, a rough-and-ready quintessential Soviet mining town.
- Once in Tsey, you will be spoilt for choice: for sporty ones there are plenty of hiking trails, of various length and difficulty, waiting to be trodden; whereas the bon viveurs will be able to indulge in culinary pleasures and lazy walks in the forest.
- Dinner and overnight in Tsey.
DAY 4 - South Ossetia: Northern Villages
- We will leave Tsey early in the morning and drive to the internationally unrecognised but de-facto independent Republic of South Ossetia.
- Besides the routine pauses for food, toilet and random landscape pictures, we'll break the journey to visit some pretty roadside Ossetian villages, where we'll be able to drink sulphuric water from natural springs and admire a huge Stalin's portrait painted on a rock.
- Border Crossing: before lunch we'll cross the border into South Ossetia. Unrecognised states are much safer and friendlier than you might think and we will take care of all the border formalities; however, this is a very sensitive area and you shall strictly follow the (rather simple) instructions your guide will brief you about.
- After entering the South Ossetia we'll head to the mountain hamlet of Goret.
- Visit to the village and walk in the nature to admire stunning gorges and majestic peaks.
- Dinner and overnight with a local family in Goret.
DAY 5 - South Ossetia: Tskhinvali and Leningor
- We'll drive towards Leningor, a small Ossetian town right next to the frontline with Georgia.
- We'll then visit the ruined old town, the old castle and the colourful food market, which is usually full of Georgian fruits.
- After lunch we'll move to Tskhinvali, formerly Staliniri, the capital of this tiny unrecognised country.
- Tskhinvali walking tour: Old Town, Tskhinvali Cathedral, Jewish quarter, National Museum and Farmers Market.
- Dinner and overnight in Tskhinvali.
DAY 6 - South Ossetia: Towers and Monasteries
- In the morning we'll explore the ancient towers and churches of the Znaursky district.
- Lunch with a local family in the picturesque village of Tsorbis.
- We'll then visit a haunting WWII memorial in Rustavi, some eerily fascinating ruins in Traskharo and the Tamara monastery, the biggest of its kind in the region.
- Dinner and overnight in Tskhinvali.
DAY 7 - Flight back home or transfer to further destinations
- After enjoying a last Ossetian-style breakfast together we'll take care of your transfer to the airport/train station of choice.
- For those flying out: we will arrange transfer to Mineralnye Vody International Airport for your flight back home.
- For those wishing to take the train/bus to reach further destinations: we will arrange transport to the local train/bus station.
- End of the tour.
4 to 8 participants: 1740 €
The price includes: double/twin room accommodation (breakfast included; single supplement: 18 euro/night), private transport in the region, entrance fees to the attractions listed in the itinerary, guiding and translation service.
The price does not include: international flights and any other flight not explicitly included in the tour price and itinerary, meals, drinks and tips, transport to and from the airport of arrival/departure (35 euros/ride), visas if required, entrance fees to attractions not listed in the itinerary, insurance.
The route of this tour has been carefully designed after several research trips in the region. It is, however, always possible to slightly modify the itinerary according to the needs and the suggestions of the participants. Our motto is flexibility.
Please note: It’s advisable to arrive in Mineralnye Vody one day before the actual tour begins. You should notice, however, that you’ll have to take care of your accommodation for any day and night preceding the actual start date of the tour. Without any additional charge we will readily and gladly reserve a room for you at our hotel of choice and you’ll be able to pay for it by cash or credit card once you check-in. If your flight lands on the same day as the tour begins and you prefer to rest a bit before going out sightseeing, you will then meet your tour guide and the rest of the group at the designated hotel in the late afternoon.
Mineralnye Vody has been chosen as the starting point of this route because the local airport is one of the busiest in the region and definitely the easiest and cheapest one to reach from Europe / North America. Alternatively you can also choose to land either directly in Beslan/Vladikavkaz or in Rostov-on-Don, in which case we'll then take care of your transfer to Vladikavkaz for an additional fee of 50 euros. Please contact us to learn more about that.
Airport pickup/transfer in Mineralnye Vody is available for just 35 euros per ride.
Disclaimer: the designations employed and the presentation of the material on this website do not imply the expression of any opinion whatsoever on the part of our company concerning the legal status of any country, territory, city or area or of its authorities, or concerning the delimitation of its frontiers or boundaries. The territory of the Tskhinvali Region (formerly: South Ossetian Autonomous Region) is internationally recognised as integral part of Georgia. Regardless of your/our position on the issue and for all travel-related intents and purposes, however, the territory of the Tskhinvali Region (formerly: South Ossetian Autonomous Region) is no longer under the control of Georgian authorities.
WHERE THE HECK AM I TRAVELLING TO?
BELOW YOU CAN SEE THE DIFFERENT TOUR STAGES MARKED ON A MAP OF THE REGION YOU ARE GOING TO EXPLORE WITH US
POSSIBLE TOUR COMBINATIONS FOR THIS ITINERARY INCLUDE