one of greatest road adventures in asia with an extension to the remote high pastures of NORTHERN afghanistan
Southern Kyrgyzstan – Pamir Highway – Eastern Tajikistan – Afghanistan
Regular monthly departures: this tour is offered regularly once a month from May to September. Let us know your desired departure month by clicking on the ask-us button below and we will match your preferences with the relevant scheduled group departure. If you are unsure about the month you wish to travel in, then simply tell us a period or a season of the year and we will provide you a range of scheduled group departures: just pick up yours!
Our scheduled group departures don't suit your plans? If you are travelling with friends and there are 5 or more of you, you can set your own dates and we will organise a tour just for you without charging any additional fee. If you are travelling solo or with less than 4 companions we will organise a slightly more expensive tailored tour according to your time schedule and specific geographical preferences.
Warning: entry to Afghanistan will be refused to Israeli passport holders and travellers with any evidence (stamp, visa, permits) of visiting Israel.
DAY 1 - Kyrgyzstan: Bishkek
- In the morning you will meet our tour guide in the lobby of the designated hotel (exact hotel address and meeting time will be communicated well in advance per email; private airport pickup and shuttle service available for a small additional fee).
- Bishkek sightseeing: Ala-too Square, Lenin Statue, Manas the Great Monument, National Museum, Osh Bazaar, Central Park, WWII Memorial and plenty of Soviet architectonic wonders and bizarre offbeat sights.
- Lunch, dinner and overnight in Bishkek.
DAY 2 - Kyrgyzstan: Road to Osh
- We will leave Bishkek early in the morning for the 8-hour-long journey to Osh, a bustling market town where Silk Road magic and Soviet nostalgia blend together.
- Besides the routine pauses for food, toilet and random landscape pictures, we'll break the long haul in Toktogul, a traditional Kyrgyz town built on the shores of the namesake artificial lake.
- Dinner and overnight in Osh.
DAY 3 - Kyrgyzstan: Osh
- We'll spend the entire morning touring Osh and its main sights such as the unmissable Statue of Lenin, the towering Solomon's Throne, the exotic Grand Bazaar and the grandiose Central Mosque.
- After a traditional Central Asia lunch we'll spend a lazy rest of the day shopping for souvenirs, sipping hot tea and chilling-out in the city park.
- Dinner and overnight in Osh.
DAY 4 - Kyrgyzstan/Tajikistan: Pamir Highway
- We will leave Osh early in the morning for the 10-hour-long journey along the legendary Pamir Highway and head towards Gorno-Badakhshan, a mountainous autonomous region in Eastern Tajikistan.
- Besides the routine pauses for food, toilet and random landscape pictures, we'll break the long haul in Sary-Tash, a rather otherworldly Mad-Max-style hamlet along the road and the last major human outpost in Southern Kyrgyzstan.
- After having crossed the border (a pretty straightforward process here) we'll eventually reach Karakul, a tiny Kyrgyz-Tajik village built along the dusty shores of the namesake lake.
- Dinner and overnight in Karakul.
DAY 5 - Tajikistan: Pamir
- We'll continue our epic journey along the Pamir Highway heading towards Rangkul, yet another remote hamlet surrounded by unreal natural beauty and crumbling Soviet ruins.
- We'll visit the nearby Rangkul Valley Bird Reserve and after lunch we'll drive south to Murghab, the main urban settlement in Northern Pamir.
- After a quick tour around the rather dull downtown (read Soviet nostalgia plus deserted bazaars plus empty mosques) we'll visit the local mountaineering association and learn more about the history and the explorations of this extremely remote corner of Asia.
- Dinner and overnight in Murghab.
DAY 6 - Tajikistan: Pamir
- Another day driving along the legendary Pamir Highway.
- We'll first head to the tiny village Alichur where we'll enjoy a traditional Pamiri lunch.
- In the afternoon we'll reach the extremely isolated Bulun-Kul Lake and the nearby fishing hamlet.
- Dinner and overnight in Bulun-Kul.
DAY 7 - Tajikistan: Wakhan Valley
- Today we'll finally reach the Wakhan Valley, arguably the most beautiful of its kind in the whole Pamir region.
- We'll drive on remote mountain roads and catch stunning glimpses of Afghan villages located a few metres away on the opposite bank of the narrow Panj river.
- Besides the routine pauses for food, toilet and random landscape pictures, we'll break the journey in semi-abandoned Soviet military outposts straight out of a post-apocalyptic movie.
- In the afternoon we'll reach Vrang, a pretty rural village mostly inhabited by the Wakhi people.
- Dinner and overnight in Vrang.
DAY 8 - Tajikistan: Wakhan Valley
- We'll continue our adventure across the Wakhan Valley visiting hot springs and ancient pagan temples along the way.
- We'll stop in several traditional Wakhi hamlets along the way and after lunch we'll reach Ishkashim, a relatively larger village and the crossing point into Afghanistan.
- Dinner and overnight in Ishkashim.
AFGHANISTAN EXTENSION - 5 DAYS across the WAKHAN CORRIDOR
- We'll leave Ishkashim early in the morning and enter the mighty land called Afghanistan.
- The border formalities here are usually a straightforward process and we'll be able to reach Afghan Eshkashim (not to be confused with its Tajikistan counterpart) before lunch.
- We'll visit the local bazaar, your last chance to buy packaged food supplies and basic camping gear before entering the remote Wakhan Corridor.
- We'll then continue our journey towards Langar, a tiny mountain hamlet, where we'll meet local shepherds and taste traditional delicacies.
- Before dinner we'll eventually reach Khandud, a larger village inhabited by the Wakhi people and the center of one of the four administrative districts of Wakhan.
- We'll spend the followings days hiking along the many shepherds trails crisscrossing the green valleys of the region and driving (where possible) to the dotting the Wakhan Corridor.
- Major settlements and attractions will include: Qala-e-Panja (domed tombs and rickety old mosques), Ab Garch (mud houses) and Sarhad (last accessible hamlet with stunning views over the surrounding areas); a further extension to the remote Kyrgyz nomad camps of the Little Pamir is available upon request for experienced trekkers only.
- We'll then slowly head back to Tajikistan visiting some more fascinating rural settlements along the way.
- Border crossing and transfer to Ishkashim.
DAY 9 - Tajikistan: Khorog
- Late wake-up call and lazy morning in Ishkashim.
- We'll then head to Khorog, the capital of the Autonomous Badakhshan.
- Khorog walking tour: House of the Soviet, Aga Khan Botanical Gardens, Pamir University, Lenin Statue.
- Dinner and overnight in Khorog.
DAY 10 - Tajikistan: Dushanbe
- Early morning start for an epic 10-hour drive to Dushanbe, the capital of the country.
- Besides the routine pauses for food, toilet and random landscape pictures, we'll break the long haul in Rushan, Kalaikhum, Tavildara and other fascinating little villages along the way.
- Please note: theoretically there is a daily flight from Khorog to Dushanbe; in practice, however, the flight schedule is absolutely unreliable, as it largely depends on 1) weather conditions 2) number of booked passengers 3) the unforeseeable whim of pilots, flight attendants and airport authorities. If lucky enough, then we might be able to skip the bumpy odyssey to Dushanbe gloriously flying over an epic landscape of high peaks and narrow gorges. The flight is included in the tour price.
- Overnight in Dushanbe.
DAY 11 - Flight back home or transfer to further destinations
- After enjoying a last Tajik breakfast together we'll take care of your transfer to the airport/train station of choice.
- For those flying out: we will arrange transfer to Dushanbe International Airport for your flight back home.
- For those wishing to take the train/bus to reach further destinations: we will arrange transport to the train/bus station.
- End of the tour.
4 to 9 participants: 2580 €
Are you up for the trip across Northern Afghanistan?
Please contact us for quotes and further details.
The price includes: double/twin room accommodation (breakfast included; single supplement: 18 euro/night), private transport in the region (jeep or minivan), one-way flight from Khorog to Dushanbe (only if available), entrance fees to the attractions listed in the itinerary, guiding and translation service.
The price does not include: international flights and any other flight not explicitly included in the tour price and itinerary, meals, drinks and tips, transport to and from the airport of arrival/departure (35 euros/ride), visas if required, entrance fees to attractions not listed in the itinerary, insurance.
The route of this tour has been carefully designed after several research trips in the region. It is, however, always possible to slightly modify the itinerary according to the needs and the suggestions of the participants. Our motto is flexibility. It is also possible to make the tour the other way round, starting from Dushanbe and finishing in Bishkek.
Please note: It’s advisable to arrive in Bishkek one day before the actual tour begins. You should notice, however, that you’ll have to take care of your accommodation for any day and night preceding the actual start date of the tour. Without any additional charge we will readily and gladly reserve a room for you at our hotel of choice and you’ll be able to pay for it by cash or credit card once you check-in. If your flight lands on the same day as the tour begins and you prefer to rest a bit before going out sightseeing, you will then meet your tour guide and the rest of the group at the designated hotel in the late afternoon.
Airport pickup/transfer in Bishkek and Dushanbe is available for just 35 euros per ride.
WHERE THE HECK AM I TRAVELLING TO?
BELOW YOU CAN SEE THE DIFFERENT TOUR STAGES MARKED ON A MAP OF THE REGION YOU ARE GOING TO EXPLORE WITH US
POSSIBLE TOUR COMBINATIONS FOR THIS ITINERARY INCLUDE
Sovietistan and/or Turkmenistan