DDR - East germany
Socialist heritage, decaying splendour and lots of ostalgie in the former deutsche demokratische republik
East Berlin – Brandenburg – Mecklenburg-Vorpommern – Sachsen-Anhalt – Sachsen
Regular monthly departures: this tour is offered regularly once a month. Let us know your desired departure month by clicking on the ask-us button below and we will match your preferences with the relevant scheduled group departure. If you are unsure about the month you wish to travel in, then simply tell us a period or a season of the year and we will provide you a range of scheduled group departures: just pick up yours!
Our scheduled group departures don't suit your plans? If you are travelling with friends and there are 5 or more of you, you can set your own dates and we will organise a tour just for you without charging any additional fee. If you are travelling solo or with less than 4 companions we will organise a slightly more expensive tailored tour according to your time schedule and specific geographical preferences.
Day 1 - East Berlin
- In the morning you will meet your our guide in the lobby of the designated hotel (exact hotel address and meeting time will be communicated well in advance per email; private airport pickup and shuttle service available for a small additional fee).
- Introductory briefing about the region and the route.
- East Berlin Tour: Karl-Marx Avenue, Soviet Memorials in Treptow, (former) Lenin Square and Stasi headquarter in Lichtenberg, Communist Embassies in Mitte, Thälmann-Monument in Prenzlauer Berg and a plethora of Socialist architectures and communist monuments scattered all around the former capital of the German Democratic Republic.
- Traditional East-German lunch.
- In the afternoon we'll visit the Soviet-German Museum of Karlshorst, located in the very villa where the capitulation of Third Reich was signed by Wilhelm Keitel in 1945.
- Dinner and overnight in East Berlin.
Day 2 - Wünsdorf-Waldstadt, Eisenhüttenstadt and Frankfurt an der Oder
- Morning visit to the abandoned Soviet Military Base in Wünsdorf-Waldstadt, where one of the last still standing Lenin statue in the country welcomes the rare visitors.
- We'll then drive South to Eisenhüttenstadt, a quintessential GDR planned city with plenty of nostalgia and post-Socialist decay.
- After lunch transfer to Frankfurt an der Oder, a large town adjacent to the Polish border with a remarkably vast array of Socialist monuments dotting the archetypically GDR city centre.
- We'll enjoy a short walking tour of the city centre and pop into the neighbouring town of Słubice for quick taste of Poland.
- Dinner and overnight in Frankfurt an der Oder.
Day 3 - Ostbrandenburg, Usedom and Greifswald
- We'll spend the morning driving around the melancholic villages and towns of Ostbrandenburg, a region full of Soviet memorials and GDR nostalgia.
- We'll then reach Usedom, a famous resort island during GDR times.
- After having toured the island and its many natural wonders and socialist landmarks we'll head back to the mainland and travel to the lovely little town of Greifswald, a place where Prussian history and communist heritage blend together with a certain cosmopolitan atmosphere.
- Dinner and overnight in Greifswald.
Day 4 - Rügen, Schwerin and Wittenberge
- Early in the morning we'll head to Rügen, a romantic Baltic island that used to be the top holiday destination for Germans both during the GDR and the III Reich.
- We'll devote the entire morning touring the island and its melancholic heritage of semi-abandoned socialist and national-socialist buildings such as Hitler's dream resort of Prora.
- After lunch we'll head south to Schwerin, the capital of Mecklenburg-Vorpommern and one of the only few places in Germany where you can still admire a Lenin Statue still standing defiantly against all odds.
- We'll then reach reach the sleepy GDR-border-town of Wittenberge for the night.
- Dinner and overnight in Wittenberge.
Day 5 - Magdeburg, Halle Neustadt and Leipzig
- Early start and drive to Magdeburg and Halle Neustadt, two archetypical Socialist towns in Sachsen-Anhalt, to enjoy more GDR architectural gems such as the huge Plattenbau towering over the Ernst Reuter Boulevard.
- We'll then drive to the nearby city of Leipzig, a major industrial and cultural centre of the former GDR and one of the most significant places in the whole history of Germany.
- We'll enjoy an evening tour around this extremely interesting and highly educated East German town, that still today plays a leading role in the country's academic panorama.
- Dinner and overnight in Leipzig.
Day 6 - Leipzig and Karl-Marx-Stadt
- In the morning we'll have a quick tour around Leipzig and its socialist outskirts, before eventually heading to one of the most significant places of the whole GDR: Karl-Marx-Stadt, a nostalgic industrial town that homaged the philosophical father of modern communism with a giant statue dominating over the main square.
- After lunch we'll head back to East Berlin crossing some truly melancholic Ostalgie-landscapes along the way.
- Dinner and overnight in East Berlin.
DAY 7 - Flight back home or transfer to further destinations
- After enjoying a last GDR-style breakfast together we'll take care of your transfer to the airport/train station of choice.
- For those flying out: we will arrange transfer to any of the following transportation hubs in Berlin: Schönefeld International Airport, Tegel International Airport.
- For those wishing to take the train/bus to reach further destinations: we will arrange transport to the central train/bus station.
- End of the tour.
4 to 9 participants: 850 €
The price includes: double/twin room accommodation (breakfast included; single supplement: 25 euro/night), private transport in the region (car or minivan), entrance fees to the attractions listed in the itinerary, guiding and translation service.
The price does not include: international flights and any other flight not explicitly included in the tour price and itinerary, meals, drinks and tips, transport to and from the airport of arrival/departure (35 euros/ride), visas if required, entrance fees to attractions not listed in the itinerary, insurance.
The route of this tour has been carefully designed after several research trips in the region. It is, however, always possible to slightly modify the itinerary according to the needs and the suggestions of the participants. Our motto is flexibility.
Please note: It’s advisable to arrive in Berlin one day before the actual tour begins. You should notice, however, that you’ll have to take care of your accommodation for any day and night preceding the actual start date of the tour. Without any additional charge we will readily and gladly reserve a room for you at our hotel of choice and you’ll be able to pay for it by cash or credit card once you check-in. If your flight lands on the same day as the tour begins and you prefer to rest a bit before going out sightseeing, you will then meet your tour guide and the rest of the group at the designated hotel in the late afternoon.
Airport transfer/pickup in Berlin is available for just 35 euros per ride.
WHERE THE HECK AM I TRAVELLING TO?
BELOW YOU CAN SEE THE DIFFERENT TOUR STAGES MARKED ON A MAP OF THE REGION YOU ARE GOING TO EXPLORE WITH US
POSSIBLE TOUR COMBINATIONS FOR THIS ITINERARY INCLUDE
Soviet Belarus and/or Carpathian Ruthenia