a proud and remote land of high mountains and legendary people
Makhachkala – Gotsatl' – Gunib – Chokh – Kumukh – Tsovkra – Kubachi – Derbent
Regular monthly departures: this tour is offered regularly once a month. Let us know your desired departure month by clicking on the ask-us button below and we will match your preferences with the relevant scheduled group departure. If you are unsure about the month you wish to travel in, then simply tell us a period or a season of the year and we will provide you a range of scheduled group departures: just pick up yours!
Our scheduled group departures don't suit your plans? If you are travelling with friends and there are 5 or more of you, you can set your own dates and we will organise a tour just for you without charging any additional fee. If you are travelling solo or with less than 4 companions we will organise a slightly more expensive tailored tour according to your time schedule and specific geographical preferences.
The following itinerary refers to our most popular route in Dagestan. This diverse and fascinating land, a very Soviet version of Afghanistan, greets its temerarious guests with a cornucopia of natural, historical and cultural wonders. In case you are interested in a particularly remote area, secretive ethnicity, unusual activity and/or off-the-beaten-path attraction within the Autonomous Republic of Dagestan or if you are just looking for an hit-and-run visit to Makhachkala and its surroundings, we can easily meet your needs with a unique tour individually designed according to your preferences. Thanks to our deep knowledge of the territory and longstanding collaboration with independent local guides we are able to offer you a wide range of tailored routes and bespoke itineraries across and beyond the high peaks and gentle slopes of legendary Dagestan. We also regularly cater for biologists, conservationists, ethnologists, historians and documentarists alike interested in conducting field research in the region. Get in touch for more info on our private tours to Dagestan!
DAY 1 - Makhachkala
- Our tour guide will meet you in the arrival hall of Makhachkala International Airport (exact meeting time will be communicated well in advance per email in accordance to your flight schedule).
- Introductory briefing about the region, the route and the set of rules to observe while travelling in Dagestan.
- Makhachkala walking tour: Lenin's Square, Central Bazaar, Grand Mosque, Drama Theater, National Museum, WWII Memorial and many Soviet-era buildings.
- Traditional Dagestani lunch.
- Chillout time at the beach, afternoon treat in one of the many cafés in town, souvenir shopping.
- Dinner and overnight in Makhachkala.
DAY 2 - Gotsatl' and Gunib
- Mountain road to Gotsatl', visit of traditional villages along the route.
- Lucullian lunch in Gotsatl'.
- Visit to the fascinating old mountain villages of Gotsatl' and Gunib.
- Afternoon walk in the superb surrounding natural areas and visit to abandoned stone village of Gamsutl'.
- Dinner and overnight in Gunib.
DAY 3 - Chokh and Kumukh
- Mountain road to the remote village of Chokh, one of the last place where you can admire a Stalin's bust still standing.
- Visit of the nearby traditional muslim villages.
- Quick lunch on the road.
- Visit of Kumukh, a uniquely gorgeous little mountain town built on the edge of a steep escarpment.
- Dinner and overnight in Kumukh.
DAY 4 - Tsovkra and Kubachi
- Mountain road to Tsovkra, a curious little village renewed for its tightrope walkers.
- Lunch in Tsovkra.
- Visit of Kubachi, one of the most famous traditional centres for the production of silver jewellery in the world.
- Dinner and overnight in Kubachi.
DAY 5 - Derbent and Makhachkala
- Descent to the coast and visit to Derbent, one of the oldest continuously inhabited city in the world.
- Lunch in Derbent.
- Coastal road to Makhachkala and visit to Kaspiysk, an archetypical Soviet port town.
- Dinner and overnight in Makhachkala.
DAY 6 - Flight back home or transfer to further destinations
- After enjoying a last lavish Dagestani breakfast together we'll take care of your transfer to the airport/train station of choice.
- For those flying out: we will arrange transfer to Makhachkala International Airport for your flight back home.
- For those wishing to take the train/bus to reach further destinations: we will arrange transport to the train/bus station.
- End of the tour.
4 to 9 participants: 1190 €
The price includes: double/twin room accommodation (breakfast included; single supplement: 18 euros/night), private transport in the region (jeep or minivan), entrance fees to the attractions listed in the itinerary, guiding and translation service.
The price does not include: international flights, meals, drinks and tips, visas if required, entrance fees to attractions not listed in the itinerary, insurance.
The route of this tour has been carefully designed after several research trips in the region. It is, however, always possible to slightly modify the itinerary according to the needs and the suggestions of the participants. Our motto is flexibility.
WHERE THE HECK AM I TRAVELLING TO?
BELOW YOU CAN SEE THE DIFFERENT TOUR STAGES MARKED ON A MAP OF THE REGION YOU ARE GOING TO EXPLORE WITH US
POSSIBLE TOUR COMBINATIONS FOR THIS ITINERARY INCLUDE
Soviet Azerbaijan and/or Chechnya Grand Tour