impervious mountain passes, nomadic herdsmen and caucasian majesty
Omalo – Dochu – Dartlo – Diklo
DAY 1 - Introduction to Tusheti
- Early in the morning you will meet your tour guide in the lobby of the designated hotel in Tbilisi (exact hotel address and meeting time will be communicated well in advance per email; private airport pickup and shuttle service available for a small additional fee).
- Introductory briefing about the region, the route and the set of rules to observe while travelling in Tusheti.
- We'll drive east of Tbilisi towards Akhmeta and enter Kakheti, Georgia's wine country.
- On our way to Akhmeta, we'll drive past the Gombori Pass and stop in Kvemo Alvani to visit the gorgeous monastery-cum-fortress-cum-vineyard complex of Alaverdi.
- We'll then continue our drive and shortly after lunch we'll finally enter Tusheti, a stunningly beautiful mountain region squeezed between Chechnya and Dagestan and inhabited by secretive highlanders speaking their very own unintelligible dialect of Georgian.
- In the afternoon we'll reach the village of Omalo, renowned for its quintessentially Caucasian stone watschtowers.
- Homestay dinner and overnight
DAY 2/3 - Tusheti
- We'll devote two full days to the exploration of Tusheti.
- Crossing astonishing landscapes of high peaks, white streams and green pastures, we'll travel by car up to the end of the dirt track past the mountains hamlets of Dochu and Bochorma.
- We'll then enter the even more remote Pirikiti Valley to visit the summer-only trationial settlements of Dartlo, Kvavlo, Chesho and Parsma.
- On our second day we'll head east and tour the villages of Shenako and Diklo, where we will see the Pichekhi Castle, standing right at the border to the Russian Federation.
- During your time in Tusheti you'll have the unique chance to encounter Tush herders, who will share with you their food, their home and the secrets of their endangered culture.
- If you are fit enough you can also prolong your stay in the area and undertake the challenging but extremely rewarding 4-to-7-day hike or horse-ride up to the last inhabited Tush settlements and further west into the Pankisi Valley; please contact us to learn more about this option.
- Homestay dinner and overnight.
DAY 4 - Flight back home or transfer to further destinations
- After enjoying a last lavish Tusheti-style breakfast together we'll take care of your transfer to either Tbilisi International Airport or Tbilisi Bus/Train Station for your trip back home and/or your connection to yet another exciting destination in the region such as Azerbaijan, Chechnya or Iran.
- End of the tour.
4 to 9 participants: 415 euros
The price includes: double/twin room accommodation (breakfast included; single supplement: 18 euros/night), private transport in the region (jeep or minivan), entrance fees to the attractions listed in the itinerary, guiding and translation service.
The price does not include: international flights, transport to and from the airport of arrival/departure (35 euros/ride), meals, drinks and tips, visas if required, entrance fees to attractions not listed in the itinerary, insurance.
Please note: our short trips are generally offered as extension to our tours. Upon request we can take care of transport and connections between the two segments of a trip combination and guarantee you a smooth transfer from one tour to the next. Please see below for a list of possible combinations for this trip. Flexibility is our motto and an exception to the rule is always possible. This means that this short trip may be also offered as a standalone tour if the demand is high enough. Please see our F.A.Q. or contact us for further details.
WHERE THE HECK AM I TRAVELLING TO?
BELOW YOU CAN SEE THE DIFFERENT TOUR STAGES MARKED ON A MAP OF THE REGION YOU ARE GOING TO EXPLORE WITH US
POSSIBLE TOUR COMBINATIONS FOR THIS ITINERARY INCLUDE