GARGANTUAN WATERFALLS, DEEP CANYONS AND WOODEN IDOLS
Norilsk – Putorana Plateau – Shaytan Mountains
Regular monthly departures: this tour is offered regularly once a month from June to August. Let us know your desired departure month by clicking on the ask-us button below and we will match your preferences with the relevant scheduled group departure. If you are unsure about the month you wish to travel in, then simply tell us a period or a season of the year and we will provide you a range of scheduled group departures: just pick up yours!
Our scheduled group departures don't suit your plans? If you are travelling with friends and there are 5 or more of you, you can set your own dates and we will organise a tour just for you without charging any additional fee. If you are travelling solo or with less than 4 companions we will organise a slightly more expensive tailored tour according to your time schedule and specific geographical preferences.
DAY 1 - Norilsk
- Our guide will meet you at Norilsk International Airport and drive you to our hotel of choice (exact hotel name and address will be communicated well in advance per email).
- Introductory briefing about the region, the route and the set of rules to observe while travelling in Taymyr.
- First day devoted to jet lag acclimatisation, relax and slow-pace urban exploration of Norilsk, an archetypically Soviet city built north of Arctic Circle and featuring some truly odd sights such as the northernmost mosque in the world.
- Lunch, dinner and overnight in Norilsk.
DAY 2 - Bunisiak
- Transfer to the Valek River berth (round 30 minutes from Norilsk), departure point of river vessels to Lake Lama.
- 6-to-7-hour-long journey along the Valek to Lake Lama on a modernised KS-100 Soviet boat: spacious cabins and a panoramic deck for passengers to admire the surrounding landscape.
- Traditional Siberian picnic lunch on board.
- Afternoon arrival at the Bunisiak basecamp, located at the farthest eastern end of Lake Lama in a dense larch forest, near the mouth of the Vekhikai River.
- Dinner and overnight in Bunisiak.
DAY 3 to DAY 8 - Putorana Plateau
- We will devote six full days to the exploration of the legendary Putorana Plateau, one of the most beautiful natural areas of the former USSR and by extension of the entire world.
- Highlights of your stay will include:
- A boat trip to the Weeping Rocks, a complex of steep cliffs and enchanted waterfalls surrounded by a mystic aura.
- A scenic trek along the Vekhikai Canyon with stunning views over the pristine Siberian taiga.
- An 8-hour climb up the Shaitan Mountains with plenty of natural wonders and prehistoric secrets along the way.
- A ethnological trip to some extremely remote hamlets inhabited by the Evenks, a indigenous people of the Soviet North.
- Short boat and kayak trips along the many water streams of the area.
- Relaxing hours in the camp banya (traditional Russian sauna).
- During your time at the camp you'll also have the opportunity to fish and hunt your own dinner and learn more about the endangered culture and traditions of the native Evenks, Dolgans, Enets and Nganasans: Tungusic and Samoyedic ethnicities, whose languages and habits are rapidly disappearing.
- Dinners and overnights at the basecamp in Bunisiak.
DAY 9 - Norilsk
- Transfer back to Norilsk by speedboat along the mighty Valek River.
- Free afternoon in town for some genuine post-Soviet urban exploration and/or a well deserved chill-out time at the hotel spa.
- Dinner and overnight in Norilsk.
DAY 10 - Flight back home or transfer to further destinations
- After enjoying a last Siberian-style breakfast together we'll take care of your transfer to Norilsk International Airport for either your flight back home or a connection to further exciting destinations in the region such as Yakutia, Novaya Zemlya or Yamal.
- End of the tour.
4 to 9 participants: 2250 €
The price includes: double/twin room accommodation (breakfast included; single supplement: 20 euro/night), private transport in the region (jeep and boat), full-board meal plan, entrance fees to the attractions listed in the itinerary, guiding and translation service.
The price does not include: international flights and any other flight not explicitly included in the tour price and itinerary, tips, visas if required, entrance fees to attractions not listed in the itinerary, insurance.
The route of this tour has been carefully designed after several research trips in the region. It is, however, always possible to slightly modify the itinerary according to the needs and the suggestions of the participants. Our motto is flexibility.
WHERE THE HECK AM I TRAVELLING TO?
BELOW YOU CAN SEE THE DIFFERENT TOUR STAGES MARKED ON A MAP OF THE REGION YOU ARE GOING TO EXPLORE WITH US
POSSIBLE TOUR COMBINATIONS FOR THIS ITINERARY INCLUDE
Komi Republic and/or Yamal Peninsula