North koreaN ODYSSEY
RAVEL OFF THE BEATEN TRACK ACROSS THE HERMIT KINGDOM
Pyongyang – DMZ – Kaesong – Wonsan – Nampo – Pyongsong
Regular monthly departures: this tour is offered regularly once a month. Let us know your desired departure month by clicking on the ask-us button below and we will match your preferences with the relevant scheduled group departure. If you are unsure about the month you wish to travel in, then simply tell us a period or a season of the year and we will provide you a range of scheduled group departures: just pick up yours!
Our scheduled group departures don't suit your plans? If you are travelling with friends and there are 5 or more of you, you can set your own dates and we will organise a tour just for you without charging any additional fee. If you are travelling solo or with less than 4 companions we will organise a slightly more expensive tailored tour according to your time schedule and specific geographical preferences.
All tours to the DPRK start either in Beijing or (rather rarely) in Vladivostok. Our tour service begins from the moment you meet with our partners in Beijing/Vladivostok for the handover of your DPRK visa aka tourist card. Please do not hesitate to contact us, in case you need any kind of assistance in China and/or Russia, such as hotel bookings, visa assistance, guided city tours, private drivers for day-trips out of town et cetera.
Train or plane? The itinerary below envisages the use of the Air Koryo flight both for the outward and inward trip from/to Beijing. Please get in touch with us, if you prefer to travel by train either on your way in or on your way out of North Korea. Have a look here for an updated schedule of the K27 Beijing-Pyongyang train.
DAY 1 - Beijing – Pyongyang
- Our partners will meet you in front of the Air Koryo Gate at Beijing International Airport (exact meeting time will be communicated well in advance per email in accordance to your flight schedule).
- Handover of the visa (DPRK tourist card), down payment and introductory briefing about the country, the route and the set of rules to observe while travelling in the DPRK.
- Air Koryo flight to Pyongyang.
- Arrival in Pyongyang and transfer to our hotel of choice (either the Sosan or the Yanggakdo).
- Orientation walk around Pyongyang.
- Dinner and overnight in Pyongyang.
DAY 2/3/4/5 - Pyongyang, Pyongsong and Pohyon
- We'll devote four full days to the exploration of Pyongyang, the brave-new-world capital of this secretive and misunderstood rogue state.
- Highlights of your visit will include: Kim Il Sung Square, Grand People’s Study House, Revolutionary Martyrs Cemetery, Tower of the Juche Idea, Monument to Party Founding, Pyongyang Metro, Three Revolutions Exhibition, Sci-Tech Complex, Children Palace, State Library, Mansudae Fountain Park, Great Leaders Mausoleum, USS Pueblo Submarine, Reunification Monument, Soviet Army Obelisk, Victory Arch and plenty of brutalist, modernist and rationalist concrete buildings.
- Off-the-beaten-path attractions will be: Duck Barbecue Restaurant, Pyongyang Film Studios, Mansudae Artist Studios, Yunisang Musical House.
- If any special parade and/or celebration will take place during our stay (as it is often the case), we will obviously join the local crowd and enjoy the totalitarian choreographies of the event.
- Dinner and overnight in Pyongyang.
DAY 6 - Kaesong – DMZ
- In the morning we'll drive to the Demilitarised Zone in Panmunjom (DMZ) located along the mighty 38th Parallel.
- We'll visit the Koryo Museum, also home of the best stamp and propaganda poster shop in the DPRK.
- The DMZ is of the tensest places on Earth but the North Korean border post is the only place along this contested frontier where you can actually take photographs (even with soldiers).
- We'll then enjoy a city walk around Kaesong old city, have lunch at local restaurant (dog meat soup for around 5 € extra), and visit the Ginseng Processing Factory.
- In the afternoon we'll drive to the West Coast
- Dinner and overnight in Nampo.
DAY 7 - Nampo
Breakfast, Drive to Nampo on the Korean West Coast, Sea Barrage (giant dam regulating the water level of the Taedong River), Drive to Mt. Kuwol, Sahwang Peak, Drive to the city of Sariwon, Lunch at a local restaurant, Orientation walk, Songbul Temple, Sariwon Folk Street, Jongbang Fortress, Dinner at overnight at Hotel 8th March
Breakfast, Drive to Sinchon, Museum of US War Atrocities, Drive back to Pyongyang, Victorious Fatherland Liberation War Museum (Museum of the Korean War), USS Pueblo (US spy ship captured by the Korean People’s Army in the territorial waters of the DPRK in 1968), Dinner at Taedonggang Diplomatic Club (it’s possible to rent a Karaoke room after dinner), Overnight at Koryo Hotel
DAY 8 - Wonsan
DAY 9 - Pyongsong
Breakfast, Drive to Pyongsong, Paeksong Revolutionary Site (site where Kim Il Sung University hid during the Koran War), Dinner at a local restaurant, Drive to Mt. Myohyang, Ryongmun Cavern (huge underground cave with fascinating rock formations), Dinner and overnight at Chongchon Hotel
DAY 10 - Pohyon
Breakfast, Pohyon Temple (Buddhist temple of the 11th century), International Friendship Exhibition (huge underground exhibition of state gifts given to the DPRK leaders by international statesmen and business people), Lunch at Chongchon Hotel, Drive to Pyongyang, Dinner at a local restaurant, Overnight at Koryo Hotel
DAY 11 - Pyongyang – Beijing
- After breakfast we'll take care of your transfer to either Pyongyang International Airport or Pyongyang Central Railway Station for your trip back to China.
- Please do not hesitate to contact us, in case you need any kind of assistance in China, such as hotel bookings, visa assistance, guided city tours, private drivers for day-trips out of town et cetera.
- End of the tour.
4 to 9 participants: 2520 €
The price includes: transport to/from Pyongyang (either by train or by plane), DPRK visa and invitation letter, all services within the DPRK (food, accommodation, transport, guiding, assistance and support around the clock, entrance fees to the attractions listed in the itinerary).
The price does not include: all services outside the DPRK, entrance fees to attractions not listed in the itinerary, insurance.
where the heck am i travelling to?
BELOW you can see the different stages marked on a map of the DPRK
POSSIBLE TOUR COMBINATIONS FOR THIS ITINERARY INCLUDE