from the taiga to the tundra by train
Syktyvkar – Ukhta – Pechora – Vorkuta
DAY 1 - Syktyvkar
- Our tour guide will meet you either at Syktyvkar International Airport or at Syktyvkar Central Railway Station (exact meeting time will be communicated well in advance per email in accordance to your flight/train schedule).
- Introductory briefing about the region, the route and the set of rules to observe while travelling in Komi.
- During the day we'll tour Syktyvkar: Lenin Statue, Red Army Memorial, National Theatre, Komi Republic Museum and plenty of traditional Russian wooden houses and Soviet concrete shapes.
- Traditional Komi lunch and free afternoon for a stroll in the city park and/or beer-and-vodka treats.
- Dinner and overnight in Syktyvkar.
DAY 2 - Ukhta
- In the morning we'll board the Soviet Polar Train to Ukhta, a mining city in central Komi.
- The train trip is a destination for itself as we'll travel the old-fashioned Soviet way across a fairytale landscape of dark forests, misty moorlands, crumbling wooden villages and rusty Soviet outposts.
- We'll arrive in Ukhta in the late afternoon and after a short walk around downtown we'll enjoy a traditional Komi dinner flushed down with fresh Baltic beer.
- Overnight in Ukhta.
DAY 3 - Pechora
- Morning train to Pechora, a subarctic city of extreme dullness and thus paradoxically attractive for us.
- Anti-tourism sightseeing tour around town and night train onto Vorkuta: as much as we like post-Soviet drabness, we are not that masochistic to spend a full night in Pechora!
- Dinner and overnight on the train.
DAY 4 - Vorkuta
- Early morning arrival in Vorkuta, a hardworking mining town lost in the great emptiness of the Soviet tundra.
- In Vorkuta we'll visit the spectral mining settlement of Rudnik and the über-interesting Museum of Local Lore.
- In the afternoon we'll enjoy some free time for souvenir shopping and/or post-Soviet discoveries.
- Dinner and overnight in Vorkuta.
DAY 5 - Flight back home or transfer to further destinations
- After enjoying a last Komi-style breakfast together we'll take care of your transfer to Vorkuta Regional Airport for your trip back home and/or your connection to yet another exciting destination in the region such as Finland, Estonia or Kola.
- End of the tour.
3 to 9 participants: 850 €
The price includes: double/twin room accommodation (breakfast included; single supplement: 18 euros/night), private transport in the region (jeep or minivan), entrance fees for the attractions listed in the itinerary, guiding and translation service.
The price does not include: international flights, meals, drinks and tips, visas if required, entrance to attractions not listed in the itinerary, insurance.
Please note: our short trips are generally offered as extension to our tours. Upon request we can take care of transport and connections between the two segments of a trip combination and guarantee you a smooth transfer from one tour to the next. Please see below for a list of possible combinations for this trip. Flexibility is our motto and an exception to the rule is always possible. This means that this short trip may be also offered as a standalone tour if the demand is high enough. Please see our F.A.Q. or contact us for further details.
WHERE THE HECK AM I TRAVELLING TO?
BELOW YOU CAN SEE THE DIFFERENT TOUR STAGES MARKED ON A MAP OF THE REGION YOU ARE GOING TO EXPLORE WITH US
POSSIBLE TOUR COMBINATIONS FOR THIS ITINERARY INCLUDE