Soviet nostalgia, RESILIENT people and hard-working towns
Rostov – Donetsk – Sedovo – Lugansk – Saur Mogila
Regular monthly departures: this tour is offered regularly once a month. Let us know your desired departure month by clicking on the ask-us button below and we will match your preferences with the relevant scheduled group departure. If you are unsure about the month you wish to travel in, then simply tell us a period or a season of the year and we will provide you a range of scheduled group departures: just pick up yours!
Our scheduled group departures don't suit your plans? If you are travelling with friends and there are 5 or more of you, you can set your own dates and we will organise a tour just for you without charging any additional fee. If you are travelling solo or with less than 4 companions we will organise a slightly more expensive tailored tour according to your time schedule and specific geographical preferences.
Please note: there is no definite route for this pioneering tour to a region that is still in a fluctuating geopolitical status: the itinerary suggested below has to be considered as a tentative travel schedule; both minor and major variations to the program must be taken into account. All tours to the Donbass begins and ends in Rostov-on-Don, Russia.
The following itinerary involves a visit to one or more separatist provinces and/or contested territories. Our tours are aimed to an educated clientele animated by a genuine cultural and historical interest for the little-known regions we offer within our portfolio of post-Soviet destinations. By no means we endorse and support political parties, ideological movements, armed factions and interest groups involved in the military and diplomatic conflicts afflicting the regions we travel to. Specifically we do not support territorial separatism and we strongly reject any form of violence. De facto independent but the de jure unrecognised states shall be fully considered as constituent entities of the country they seceded from. We firmly believe in true dialogue and unbiased fact-checking as the only viable path for a durable peace and stability in the region. In this regard our tours shall be seen as an instrument of knowledge and awareness for the erudite clientele we cater for. Political activists, propagandists and biased publicists of any sort are not welcome to join our tours.
DAY 1 - Saur Mogila and Donetsk
- Early in the morning you will meet your tour guide in the lobby of the designated hotel in Rostov-on-Don, Russia (exact hotel address and meeting time will be communicated well in advance per email; private airport pickup and shuttle service available for a small additional fee).
- Introductory briefing about the region, the route and the set of rules to observe while travelling in the Donbass.
- We will leave then Rostov for the 5-hour-long journey to the internationally unrecognized but de-facto independent Donetsk People's Republic.
- Border Crossing: before lunch we'll cross the border into the Donetsk People's Republic. Unrecognised states are much safer and friendlier than you might think and we will take care of all the border formalities; however, this is a very sensitive area and you shall strictly follow the (rather simple) instructions your guide will brief you about.
- After entering the Republic we'll the head towards the heavily damaged and eerily fascinating Soviet Memorial located in Saur Mogila, a strategic height in the Donetsk Ridge, which has been a dramatic theatre of war both during WWII and the recent internal conflict.
- In the afternoon we'll finally reach Donetsk, the defiant capital of the Republic.
- Evening stroll in Donetsk.
- Dinner and overnight in Donetsk.
DAY 2 - Donetsk
- Donetsk morning tour: Liberators of Donbass Memorial, Giant Lenin Statue, Pushkin Boulevard, Holy Transfiguration Cathedral.
- After lunch we will visit the City Administration Building, the first theatre of the insurgency against Ukraine and the very place where the Republic was declared and meet with some representatives of the local militias.
- Free afternoon for souvenir shopping and photographic explorations.
- Dinner and overnight in Donetsk.
DAY 3 - Sedovo and the Sea of Azov
- Today we'll head to the south of the People's Republic to Sedovo, a resort town on the Sea of Azov.
- We'll enjoy a traditional fish bbq for lunch and then pay a visit to the local museum dedicated to Georgy Sedov, a Russian arctic explorer.
- In the afternoon we'll chillout on the beach and tour Novoazovsk, a contested town adjacent to the frontline.
- Dinner and overnight in Donetsk.
DAY 4 - Night Wolves and Lugansk
- In the morning we'll head north to Lugansk, the capital of the namesake People's Republic.
- Lugansk walking tour: Lenin Statue, Communist Memorial, Dahl Monument, Ss. Peter and Paul Cathedral and Lugansk Locomotive Factory.
- Guided tour of the headquarter of the local branch of the Night Wolves, a Russian motorcycle club deeply involved in the current conflict against Ukraine.
- Lunch, dinner and overnight in Lugansk.
DAY 5 - Flight back home or transfer to further destinations
- After enjoying a last Donbass-style breakfast together we'll travel back to Russia.
- For those flying out: we will arrange transfer to Rostov-on-Don International Airport for your flight back home.
- For those wishing to take the train/bus to reach further destinations: we will arrange transport to the train/bus station.
- End of the tour.
4 to 9 participants: 860 €
The price includes: double/twin room accommodation (breakfast included; single supplement: 15 euro/night), private transport in the region, entrances to the attractions listed in the itinerary, guiding and translation service.
The price does not include: international flights and any other flight not explicitly included in the tour price and itinerary, meals, drinks and tips, transport to and from the airport of arrival/departure (20 euros/ride), visas if required, entrance to attractions not listed in the itinerary, insurance.
Please note: It’s advisable to arrive in Rostov on Don one day before the actual tour begins. You should notice, however, that you’ll have to take care of your accommodation for the first night as this is not considered part of the tour. Without any additional charge we will readily and gladly reserve a room for you at our hotel of choice and you’ll be able to pay for it by cash or credit card once you check-in.
Airport pickup/transfer in Rostov on Don is available for just 20 euros per ride.
Disclaimer: the designations employed and the presentation of the material on this website do not imply the expression of any opinion whatsoever on the part of our company concerning the legal status of any country, territory, city or area or of its authorities, or concerning the delimitation of its frontiers or boundaries. The territory of Donetsk Oblast and the territory of Lugansk Oblast are internationally recognised as integral part of Ukraine. Regardless of your/our position on the issue and for all travel-related intents and purposes, however, the territory of Donetsk Oblast and the territory of Lugansk Oblast are no longer under the control of Ukrainian authorities.
Avowal of Intermediation: Parts of Eastern Ukraine are currently placed under the German Government Foreign Office advice 'Reisewarnung' (travel alert). For countries and regions under the German Government Foreign Office (Auswärtiges Amt) advice ‘Reisewarnung / Teilreisewarnung’ we will act solely and exclusively as intermediary travel agent and/or vacation reseller and/or travel broker (German: 'Reisevermittler' gemäß § 651a BGB), hence not performing as a tour operator (German: Reiseveranstalter gemäß § 651a BGB). Herewith we are explicitly and openly informing you about our actual role as intermediary actor between you and the local tour agency, you will eventually finalise the booking of this tour with. You will be timely and appropriately informed about the details of the local tour agency operating the tour. In compliance with § 651a BGB partial or total exclusion of liability applies in case of intermediation. This tour is not operated by Soviet Tours.