tatar heritage and soviet glory in a gorgeous land of high cliffs and green mountains
Simferopol – Yalta – Sevastopol – Bakhchisarai – Feodosia – Kerch
Regular monthly departures: this tour is offered regularly once a month. Let us know your desired departure month by clicking on the ask-us button below and we will match your preferences with the relevant scheduled group departure. If you are unsure about the month you wish to travel in, then simply tell us a period or a season of the year and we will provide you a range of scheduled group departures: just pick up yours!
Our scheduled group departures don't suit your plans? If you are travelling with friends and there are 5 or more of you, you can set your own dates and we will organise a tour just for you without charging any additional fee. If you are travelling solo or with less than 4 companions we will organise a slightly more expensive tailored tour according to your time schedule and specific geographical preferences.
The following itinerary involves a visit to one or more separatist provinces and/or contested territories. Our tours are aimed to an educated clientele animated by a genuine cultural and historical interest for the little-known regions we offer within our portfolio of post-Soviet destinations. By no means we endorse and support political parties, ideological movements, armed factions and interest groups involved in the military and diplomatic conflicts afflicting the regions we travel to. Specifically we do not support territorial separatism and we strongly reject any form of violence. De facto independent but the de jure unrecognised states shall be fully considered as constituent entities of the country they seceded from. We firmly believe in true dialogue and unbiased fact-checking as the only viable path for a durable peace and stability in the region. In this regard our tours shall be seen as an instrument of knowledge and awareness for the erudite clientele we cater for. Political activists, propagandists and biased publicists of any sort are not welcome to join our tours.
DAY 1 - Simferopol
- Our tour guide will meet you in the arrival hall of Simferopol International Airport (exact meeting time will be communicated well in advance per email in accordance to your flight schedule).
- Introductory briefing about the region, the route and the set of rules to observe while travelling in Crimea.
- Simferopol walking tour: Lenin Statue, Stalinist Railway Station, Holy Trinity Convent, Nevsky Cathedral, Gorky Theatre, Friday Mosque, Crimean Parliament.
- Lunch, dinner and overnight in Simferopol.
DAY 2 - Bakhchisaray
- In the morning we'll transfer to Bakhchisaray, the main centre for Tatar culture in Crimea.
- Bakhchisaray sightseeing: Uspensky Cave Monastery, Khan's Palace, Old Mosque, Fountain of Tears.
- Traditional Crimean-Tatar lunch.
- Afternoon hike to either Uzun-Tarla, a Scythian archaeological complex overlooking the city, or to Chufut-Kale, a cliff city last inhabited by Kararite Jews, just a couple of kilometres away from the Bakhchisaray old town.
- Dinner and overnight in Bakhchisaray.
DAY 3 - Sevastopol
- In the morning we'll drive to Sevastopol, one of the twelve hero cities of the Soviet Union.
- Sevastopol Soviet tour: Black Sea Promenade, Sevastopol Shipyard, Lavrenov Drama Theatre, the obligatory Lenin Statue and plenty of glorious Soviet Monuments and War Memorials.
- After lunch we'll head to Balaclava, famous for having given the name to the notorious military ski-mask and for the secret submarine base, which we'll be able to tour accompanied by a member of the staff.
- In the evening we'll transfer back to Bakhchisaray.
- Dinner and overnight in Bakhchisaray.
DAY 4 - Yalta
- Morning transfer to Yalta, renowned both for the historical meeting of the Stalin-Churchill-Roosevelt-triad and for having been the number one Soviet holiday destination both for the party nomenclature and the common masses.
- We'll spend the morning touring Yalta (Lenin Embankment, Martyrs Chapel, Old Town) and the surrounding sights such as the world-famous Livadia Palace, where the peace conference was held, and the Swallow's Nest, a neo-gothic and slightly kitschy castle perched on a clifftop.
- After lunch we'll enjoy a coastal drive to Feodosia, a quintessential Soviet resort town on the Black Sea.
- Dinner and overnight in Feodosia.
DAY 5/6 - Crimean Riviera
- We'll spend the morning touring Feodosia Old Town, a place where Russian, Italian, Greek and Turkish merchants used to meet to exchange goods and drink large cups of coffee and tea.
- After lunch we'll hit the beach for some water sports or simply to enjoy the nostalgic and slightly melancholic atmosphere of this archetypical Soviet seaside town.
- The following day can be either spent chilling out at the beach with the local crowd or hiking along the coastal trails (or both).
- Meals and overnights in Feodosia.
DAY 7 - Flight back home or transfer to further destinations
- Early in the morning we'll drive west to the Russian mainland.
- Before leaving Crimea we will enjoy a short excursion around the Kerch peninsula, during which you'll be able to visit ancient Turkish fortress, nostalgic Soviet resorts and isolated fishing villages.
- We will then transfer to Mother Russia crossing by ferry the narrow Kerch Strait over which Vladimir Putin is having a controversial bridge built and drive towards Krasnodar, a bustling Southern town of Soviet history and Cossack pride.
- For those flying out: we will arrange transfer to Krasnodar International Airport for your flight back home.
- For those wishing to take the train/bus to reach further destinations: we will arrange transport to the local train/bus station.
- End of the tour.
4 to 9 participants: 960 €
The price includes: double/twin room accommodation (breakfast included; single supplement: 20 euro/night), private transport in the region (jeep or minivan), entrance fees to the attractions listed in the itinerary, guiding and translation service.
The price does not include: international flights and any other flight not explicitly included in the tour price and itinerary, meals, drinks and tips, visas if required, entrance fees to attractions not listed in the itinerary, insurance.
The route of this tour has been carefully designed after several research trips in the region. It is, however, always possible to slightly modify the itinerary according to the needs and the suggestions of the participants. Our motto is flexibility.
Disclaimer: the designations employed and the presentation of the material on this website do not imply the expression of any opinion whatsoever on the part of our company concerning the legal status of any country, territory, city or area or of its authorities, or concerning the delimitation of its frontiers or boundaries. The territory of the Autonomous Republic of Crimea is internationally recognised as integral part of Ukraine. Regardless of your/our position on the issue and for all travel-related intents and purposes, however, the territory of the Autonomous Republic of Crimea is no longer under the control of Ukrainian authorities.
where the heck am i travelling to?
BELOW you can see the different tour stages marked on a map of the region you are going to explore with us
POSSIBLE TOUR COMBINATIONS FOR THIS ITINERARY INCLUDE