agin-buryat autonomous region
lost stupas in the soviet far east
Chita – Aginskoe – Mogoytuy – Uzon
DAY 1 - Chita
- Our tour guide will meet you in the arrival hall of Chita International Airport (exact meeting time will be communicated well in advance per email in accordance to your flight schedule).
- Introductory briefing about the region, the route and the set of rules to observe while travelling in Aga-Buryatia.
- Chita sightseeing: Lenin Square, Grand Buddhist Temple, Cathedral Mosque, Decembrists Museum, Odora Park of Culture and Recreation and plenty of Socialist nostalgia in this frontier town of fading Soviet glory.
- Lunch, dinner and overnight in Chita.
DAY 2/3 - Aga-Buryatia
- We'll devote two full days to the exploration of this secretive autonomous region: the Agin-Buryat Autonomous Okrug, aka Aga-Buryatia, aka ABAO, used to be one of the many more-or-less self-governing geopolitical entities in which the mighty Soviet Union was divided; this remote land is mostly inhabited by a peculiar sub-ethnos of the Buryats, who are the titular nationality of the namesake republic further west, and represents a bizarre, exotic and slightly desolate post-Soviet constructum of wild steppes and lonely stupas.
- We'll base ourselves in Aginskoe, the regional capital, and tour all the main highlights of Aga-Buryatia such as Mogoytuy (open-air ethnographic museum), Tsugol and Uzon (imposing Buddhist temples).
- We'll also go off the beaten path and visit the Alkhanai National Park, which hosts one of the Five Sacred Peaks of Northern Buddhism, and Ankhabai, where ancient and mysterious monoliths stand still in the steppe as a somber reminder of a past civilization.
- During your time in the valley you'll have the unique chance to meet with Buryat shamans and pilgrims, who will share with you their food, their stories and the mystic secrets of their secretive culture.
- Dinner and overnight in Aginskoe.
DAY 4 - Flight back home or transfer to further destinations
- After enjoying a last Buryat-style breakfast together we'll take care of your transfer to either Chita International Airport or Chita Train Station for your trip back home and/or your connection to yet another exciting destination in the region such as Mongolia, Manchuria or Yakutia.
- End of the tour.
4 to 9 participants: 700 €
The price includes: double/twin room accommodation (breakfast included; single supplement: 18 euros/night), private transport in the region (jeep or minivan), entrance fees for the attractions listed in the itinerary, guiding and translation service.
The price does not include: international flights, meals, drinks and tips, visas if required, entrance to attractions not listed in the itinerary, insurance.
Please note: our short trips are generally offered as extension to our tours. Upon request we can take care of transport and connections between the two segments of a trip combination and guarantee you a smooth transfer from one tour to the next. Please see below for a list of possible combinations for this trip. Flexibility is our motto and an exception to the rule is always possible. This means that this short trip may be also offered as a standalone tour if the demand is high enough. Please see our F.A.Q. or contact us for further details.
WHERE THE HECK AM I TRAVELLING TO?
BELOW YOU CAN SEE THE DIFFERENT TOUR STAGES MARKED ON A MAP OF THE REGION YOU ARE GOING TO EXPLORE WITH US
POSSIBLE TOUR COMBINATIONS FOR THIS ITINERARY INCLUDE